How do I back up my iPhone or iPad?
Today’s iPhones and iPads are so much more than a device that just makes phone calls or browses the web. It’s also your camera, music streamer, email manager, document creator, health tracker and so much more! So what’s the best way to back up all of your personal important data? Read on and find out!
Use iCloud to back up your iOS device
So what is iCloud? iCloud is Apple’s online internet service, often referred to as “the Cloud”. It allows users to store and access documents, photos, music, contacts, and calendars safely online. It will also synchronize all of the previously mentioned data across any Apple device that has iCloud enabled. And, last but not least, it can be used to wirelessly back up your iOS device. To create a free iCloud account, click here then click on ‘Create Apple ID’ on the bottom left section of the page.
How do I back up my iOS device using iCloud?
The beauty of iCloud back up is its simplicity. After you’ve enabled iCloud on your iOS device, here’s how to back it up:
- Connect your iOS device to a WiFi network
- Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > Tap iCloud
- Tap iCloud Backup and enable
- Tap Back Up Now. Your backup will complete as long as you stay connected to WiFi
- Your iOS device will now automatically back up when it’s connected to a power source, a WiFi network, and your device’s screen is locked
How do I back up my iOS device using my computer?
- Connect your iOS device to your computer with your USB charging cable
- If your Mac is running macOS 10.15 Catalina, open Finder
- If your Mac is running macOS 10.14 Mojave or earlier, open iTunes. If you haven’t already done so, update iTunes to the latest version
- A message may come up on your iOS device asking to ‘Trust This Continue’. Tap ‘Trust’ and enter your Passcode
- On your computer, locate your device on Finder(10.15) or iTunes(10.14 or earlier)
- Click on ‘Back Up Now’
At Midtown Tech we will always take the time to help you make an informed decision.